2.10.26

Tom Stern's Masterpiece "The Hole Truth & Nothing Butt" is Butthole Surfers Perfection



The Hole Truth & Nothing Butt - a film by Tom Stern (2025)

 

                It was December of 2021.  Almost five years ago.  I saw a post online from someone looking to fund the filming of a documentary movie about my second favorite musical act of all time, the mighty Butthole Surfers.  The Kickstarter campaign was very successful.  It seems lots of people dreamed of such a film.  I felt great knowing that other weirdos like me wanted to reminisce and share the impactful insanity that was our beloved Butthole Surfers.  What I did not expect was that I would wait nearly five years for the film to be produced and released!  It was completely worth it.

 

                "Like a tick farm, like a sea horse, like a graveyard, like a moron, like
a girlfriend, like a tissue, like a cardboard, like a brick wall, like a dream,
Waiting to be..." - Sea Ferring

 


                Just over a year ago, the finished film made its premiere.  Since then, the film was screened at many festivals around the world.  I would read the press clippings from these screenings, deeply envious of anyone who got to see the film, hoping and waiting for the day I could experience it.  That day came on September 29, 2026, thanks to the good people at the River Oaks Theatre in Houston, TX.

 

                "Something she said to me last night. Something she said to me.  'I saw the sun rising up over my daddy's grave. And I ate some cheese and rice today!'" - Something

 


                To give a bit of background regarding my personal journey with the Butthole Surfers, I must travel back in time to the glorious late 1980's.  Picture it, Houston, Texas.  A teenaged RXTT would borrow his parent's car and drive himself and friends from Alief into Montrose, the eclectic, artsy, bohemian neighborhood that once served as the focal point for every weird, oddball, punk, queer, maladapted, druggy freak that didn't feel like moving to Austin.  At the time, there were many record stores to peruse, and our favorite was Sound Exchange, then located at 1617 Westheimer.  It catered to anyone wishing to find non-commercial music, and it did not hurt that Bliss Blood, legendary singer for the wildly weird Pain Teens worked there.  Other stores specialized in oldies, or import 12" dance singles, but Sound Exchange stocked the weird shit.  As a broke teen, the wall of used cassettes was my main draw.  I often spent hours perusing the tapes, looking for something new I could afford. It was there I found Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction and many others.  Among the available cassettes were ones from a band called Butthole Surfers.  Before the internet, and the ubiquitous data available instantly on your phone, I relied on word of mouth and articles in music magazines like Spin or Hit Parader (in my heavy metal days) to learn about new bands, records, or scenes.  Butthole Surfers received very little coverage, usually just a quick blurb stating that a new album had come out from these "Texas weirdos" as they were often demeaned.  The name made me laugh, but the album covers disturbed me in ways that none of the hardcore, heavy metal, or punk covers ever did.  Looking at the visuals informed me that this was a band of insane people, very likely true degenerates.  Checking the inside of the album Hairway to Steven, (a title I found hilarious as it made fun of the "ultimate" hard rock band, Led Zeppelin), I saw that there were no song titles.  Instead, each song was represented by weird, scatological drawings.  Too weird.  my love of the Butthole Surfers would have to wait.

 

              "What do you know about reality?  I AM REALITY.  What do you know about death? I AM DEATH!" - Jimi


                It is 1992, and I am living in the Moody Tower dormitory of the University of Houston.  I meet a fellow nut named Barnaby Struve who had excellent records and great taste in the weird.  He introduced me to many bands I grew to love, the Melvins, Archers of Loaf, Phish, and most of all, Butthole Surfers.  Back then, Memorex made a blank cassette that held 45 minutes of music on each side.  Using one of these, Barnaby made me a mix-tape of what he called the Butthole Surfers "best nugs."  He did not write down the song titles, mainly because most people could not tell what song had what title.  That mix became a prized possession.  I took it everywhere, taking over stereos at parties, playing Butthole Surfers insanity to anyone willing to listen.  I found in this mix everything I ever loved about rock and roll music.  It was strangely melodic, yet wildly dissonant.  Sounds I never heard before, and would never hear from anyone else, flooded my ears.  Nearly everything else paled in comparison.  The lyrics were inscrutable, but what could be understood was more Dada than polemic.  I must have made dozens of copies of that mix for friends, hoping for them to fall in love like I did.  This led to collecting their albums, singles, VHS video collections, etc., and a lifelong love of the band.  Their live concert VHS, The Blind Eye Sees All, a true masterpiece, was so great, and gave me a good approximation of what a live Butthole Surfers show was like.

                Soon after, in 1994, I was a member of the Student Program Board's Large Stage committee, and we brought a national tour to the University of Houston.  It was called the "Free Your Mind" Tour, sponsored by MTV, and attempted to cash in on the then-current obsession with spoken-word poetry by bringing people like Maggie Estep and John S. Hall (former singer of King Missile) along with local poets.  For some reason, the one and only Gibby Haynes was slated to be the Master of Ceremonies for the Houston event.  My classmates and I set up the show.  Gibby came in, rambled some slightly incoherent introduction to the whole event, and then stepped outside the Student Center.  He walked over to the Hilton College and lit up a fat doobie, smoking it up.  He then walked back to the front of the Student Center and lit a Marlboro cigarette.  After a few puffs he dropped it and went inside.  I was too intimidated to say hello, thinking I would come off as a dork ass loser fanboy, but I did go pick up the butt, took a huge drag off it, and put it out, saving it in some plastic and putting it away in my pocket.  I kept that cigarette butt as a memento for years.

  

                "Well, there's a creep in the cellar that I'm gonna let in.  And he eats in the alley and keeps track of my sins.  When he starts talking backwards your head starts to spin.  And he really freaks me out when he peels off his skin, yeah!" - Creep In the Cellar

 

                 My wife and I have been together over two decades.  In that time, we have shared a ton of music, bands she loved that I never knew, and bands I loved that she never heard.  Often, we enjoy each other's selections.  However, I have played five different Butthole Surfer songs for her on five separate occasions, and each time her response is, "That is the worst song I have ever heard."  Hilarious!!  Since I first heard of this documentary, Elizabeth would (jokingly!) scoff at my constantly repeated statements desiring to see this film.  I couldn't wait!!!!  It got worse after the film was completed and started making the rounds at film festivals.  I really needed my Butthole Surfers fix.  Through it all, I could tell she was really excited for me to see it. 

                After the film was picked up to screen at Alamo Drafthouse cinemas, I messaged the director Tom Stern, asking when it would be available in Houston, (all the Alamo Drafthouses in Houston were shut down to a change in retail management), and was surprised to see him reply with two words that blew my mind, "River Oaks!"  I think I may have been the second person to purchase tickets.  I was so hype.  I was even more excited to know that my wife Elizabeth wanted to join me at the screening.  Her tastes in music are as wide-ranging as mine, albeit in different directions, and although I knew that the band's music was not to her liking, (she has mentioned the term "serial killer music" before), she wanted to better understand me and my passion for these nuts, which was awesome. 

  

                "Ten foot tall and the nurse stuck a needle in my arm.  Well, Uncle Doc's nurse used a needle with ungodly charm.  Walkin' down the hall the dentist loomed through the door... " - I Saw an X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas

  

                The River Oaks Theatre is the oldest in Houston, recently remodeled, and a perfect venue for a screening of The Hole Truth and Nothing Butt.  The theater has a long history of showing the weird, foreign, indie films not found at average cinemas.  Seeing the marquee displaying the film got me all HYPE.  After we sat down in our seats my anticipation grew and grew, and my wife could see how geeked out I was for the show.  The theater filled up with old heads, acid-casualties, and countless people I felt I recognized from punk shows in the 90's.  It was a sell-out, which forced the River Oaks people to add a second screening at 10:15 pm.  Being a fan of the Butthole Surfers is a lonely experience for the most part, so when the film began and the title screen came up, many of us clapped, mostly at the improbability of it all.

  

                "Thanksgivings coming on the Fourth of July.  In the form of a girl with a needle in her eye. Well, she come from out west on a nickel worth of gas.  Got her mind on her money and her dope up her ass." - The Lord is a Monkey

 

                It is rare indeed when reality lives up or exceeds the dream.  In every respect, this documentary surpasses every single one of my expectations.  We initially see the Butthole Surfers members as they currently are, living amongst us as pillars of society.  Families, children, homes, dogs, cats, and quiet moments have replaced the miasma of absurdity.  It feels triumphant to see them achieve such peace, love, and happiness in their lives.  From this introduction, we are then catapulted back in time to San Antonio Texas, where Gibby Haynes and Paul Leary met at Trinity University, a most fortuitous occurrence.  Two exceedingly intelligent, yet severely disaffected young men with an interest in art and music as performance began a journey few could imagine, and even fewer could survive.

                The band lived a hand-to-mouth existence for nearly a decade, sharing a large van with Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad, (not the musician, but a dog named after the musician), touring everywhere in Texas that would have them.  Years of sleeping on floors, scrounging food, drugs, and alcohol, and bringing the ruckus every single gig was as chaotic, turbulent, and exhausting as one can imagine.   Their fame grew through word of mouth and the underground zines spreading the good word about non-commercial music.  They became a "Must See" show if they were in your town.   Their stage show grew to include everything and anything they could come up with: industrial-level strobe lighting, massive smoke machines, surgical and car crash films projected on the band and a screen behind the drums, plenty of extremely unsafe fire, clothespins, thousands of photocopied cockroaches, stuffed animals, a wiffle-ball bat filled with urine, two drummers, a weird naked dancer (performance artist Kathleen Lynch, also known by her stage moniker of "Tada, the Shit Lady"), and vast amounts of hallucinogens.  It was a total and intense visual, oral, tactile, and sonic onslaught, and no one in the crowd would ever be the same.

                Before I saw them live, I always assumed that the Butthole Surfers carelessly played their instruments to sound this deranged, but that was not the case.  They practiced and rehearsed and worked very hard to sound this sloppy and insane, and they were able to recreate it nightly, mainly due to the greatness of Paul Leary and his guitar histrionics, and Gibby's never-ending supply of energy.  Their two-drummer attack was a singular feature, visually as stunning as sonically, for the two drummers looked very similar.  In fact, they would claim to be brother and sister for years.  Teresa Taylor (Teresa Nervosa) and King Coffey played drums standing up, with tribal insanity and no bass drums.  Between songs they would duck and hide behind the drum riser, popping up in unison to start the next song to great effect.  On one tour, one of their eight different bassists brought a Sousaphone, "borrowed" from his School Band, which he would play instead of the bass guitar.  This film, with lots of previously unseen footage of the band's early years, showcases this aspect of the band perfectly.

                Butthole Surfers are an amalgam of the creative and inherently anti-establishment individuals that formed the band.  Gibby Haynes, the ultimate rock iconoclast, someone so smart as to be a bit scary, inventive beyond all possibility, filled with mad poetry, super tall and gangly, dangerous looking, and yet always laughing as if he knew a joke we were not privy to, was the chaotic May Pole around which the band revolved.  Paul Leary, master of guitar histrionics, bringing the weird every night, perfectly pairing off with Gibby's insanity, the most stereotypically handsome member of the band, which only accented just how weird the dude really was, created original sounds unheard of before or since.  Jeff Pinkus, crusty hardcore punk bassist, the last and best in a long line of bass players, always holding down the bottom end, providing a stability that comes from being 100% bought in to the Butthole Surfer cause.  King Coffey, mad drummer whose slightly deranged smile always hinted at the fun the band had while performing, was paired up for the best years of the Butthole Surfers with Teresa Taylor (AKA Nervosa), a perfect visual pairing with King, seemingly albinos performing syncopated beats while they both stood at their kits, bringing a tribal intensity and rhythm along with the bizarre psychedelia of seeing two very similar humans, possibly twins, drumming like insane people, and hiding behind the drums like sprites or gremlins.   There was a period in the 1980's when no other band could compare to the greatness, intensity, danger, and derangement this group of humans could unleash on their audience.  It was glorious.  We, the fans, knew what we were getting into.  We were fully bought in.

  

                "I wet my bed last night.  I woke up sad, boo.  They shot the Pope.  They shot the Pope's ass.  They shot the pope and I feel good!  Yeah!" - Bar-B-Q Pope



                Tom Stern edited this film so well.  It never lags, drags, or slags, and all the talking head interviews are sharp, quick-paced, and hilarious.  Many of their more-famous peers are questioned, and all stand in awe of the majesty that is Butthole Surfers.  Ice T recounts how, during Lollapalooza, Gibby Haynes would throw beer cans over the crowd and fire off a shotgun, as if he was skeet-shooting!  It scared the shit out of people.  The band claims it was always "blanks," but I have read an interview with Paul Leary where he states that at one point during Lollapalooza, Siouxsie Sioux of the Banshees jumped on stage and bear-hugged Gibby.  Paul states that he saw Gibby and Siouxsie rolling around the stage with the loaded shotgun between them, and all he could think about as he rocked a guitar riff was "This is it.  This is how it all ends.  It ends with Gibby blowing either Siouxsie Sioux's or his own head off with that shotgun."  He claimed it was the most scared he had ever been on stage.  It also seems to imply that there were actual shells in the shotgun, and not "blanks," although a blank at short range can and does kill sometimes.  This story, and many others, were best left out of the film.

                I laughed more than I have ever laughed at any documentary.  Too many haters never understood just how hilarious Butthole Surfers were.   It is even funny to see how the mists of time obscure some memories while enhancing others, leading to many statements of, "I don't remember that."  Hilarious!  The genius of this film lies in that it focuses on the people in the band, not the songs.  Tom Stern did not seek to make a self-serving movie looking to create a new audience for the back catalog, as so many modern music documentaries do.  He instead wanted to honor the band that flew their freak flag higher and longer than any other American weirdo, and he succeeded.   Stern showcases the good, bad, ugly, and plain weird, respecting the individuals in the band as he does so, even as the film touches on more serious topics, real human experience, and the tragedies of life.  I may have laughed more often than at any other film, but I also cried harder than I have ever done while watching a documentary.  I care deeply for the bands and musicians that mean something to me, and I hurt upon learning their hurts.   I found myself reaching out my hand to my wife for comfort, only to see that she was as moved as I was, which is a testament to the honesty of the band, and the forthright direction by Tom Stern.  Seeing Teresa Taylor speak about her life just days before she passed away broke me.  While I never met her in person, I did become her Facebook friend and had many small but wonderful interactions with her, something I never did with any other musician.  To my mind, Teresa Taylor and Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon were the single coolest women ever in rock and roll and I am proud to have been even a small acquaintance of hers.

  

                "And all the sailors who were junkies, all.  They all went sailing out to sea.
And the white man sold quaaludes to the monkeys.  And they all died high up in the trees.
                And all the teachers who were flunkies, now.  They all taught you and me.  And the goddamned white men still selling quaaludes to the monkeys.  And they're all, you and me, dying high up in the trees" - To Parter

 

                So, we loved the film.  I gained new levels of love and appreciation for the Butthole Surfers.  My wife grew to know and appreciate this band of misfits as human beings.  She has a finely honed bullshit detector, can spot a faker a mile away, (the Butthole Surfers have always been true to their aims and expectations), and deeply appreciates honesty and forthrightness, which, for all their madness, the Butthole Surfers have in spades.  I laughed so hard when she told me, as we discussed the film on the way home, that the only "NO" she felt while watching the documentary was aimed squarely at Kathleen Lynch's performance "costume" consisting of nakedness with long hair extensions attached to her armpits and pubic hair along with a deranged reverse mohawk of sorts on her head, a truly insane visual presentation.  This is understandable, and probably exactly the response Kathleen was going for.  (The film didn't mention that Kathleen would also put aluminum foil over her teeth, creating a very weird reflective effect when the stage lights hit her face.)

                The beauty of what used to be the American music underground was that its bands and supporters actively sought to be true to themselves, to present in musical form who they were and where they came from.  It created amazing bands from weird places outside the music meccas of NYC and LA, (Minutemen in San Pedro, CA, Misfits from Lodi, NJ, Meat Puppets from Phoenix, AZ, etc.).  None of them made any real money or fame, but they all managed to create amazing music, and carve out a piece of the musical world, influencing the bands that came after.   

  

"Take me, Mexican Caravan.  South of, South of the Rio Grande.
Take me to that amigo town, Where I can score some of that heroin brown" - Mexican Caravan

  

                As a long-time fan, the stories surrounding their infamous NYC show at Danceteria piqued my interest.  All I had before were second-hand stories.  There was no footage of the show that shocked the normally hardened NYC crowds.  They had lived through the Ramones, Suicide, Velvet Underground, and all manner of weirdo transgressive and confrontational punk bands, but they were not ready for the frenetic performance of the Butthole Surfers.  I was blown away to see the footage that Tom Stern dug up from that show!  An image is worth a thousand words, they say, and these images certainly cemented the over-the-top stories I had read.  It was a wonderful surprise.

                For a long time, I assumed the magic and beauty of Butthole Surfers would fade away, as older fans aged out, and no one played their music on the radio (understandably so.)  The glory of this film, The Hole Truth & Nothing Butt, is that it captures the band perfectly, their sound, their vibe, their complete disregard for the musical rules, and it does so in a most human manner.  My wife came away with an appreciation of the band and the same thought I had when I first grew to love them.  That thought would be, "They showed us that you can do fucking anything."  The Butthole Surfers are inspirational in the extreme, although to be inspired by them is not the same as wanting to emulate them!  The documentary is a masterpiece of filmmaking and editing, and I hope it receives a wide audience.  On the old TV show, WKRP In Cincinnati, morning DJ Dr. Johnny Fever once asked, "But who will teach the kids about Bo Diddley?"  I've often wondered the same about Butthole Surfers, but Tom Stern has provided the answer.  I hope the film inspires and frees any and all young people currently starting bands and writing songs.  The future is wide open, if you want it.  The Hole Truth & Nothing Butt blew us away and only increased my love and admiration for the Butthole Surfers.  It is a great achievement.  I want to see it again right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any Thoughts?